What I Wish I Had Known About Trying to Control My Birth + My Kids
n Episode 1 of The Healthy Baby Show, Shazi is joined by actress Minnie Driver and developmental psychologist and parenting expert Dr. Aliza Pressman to discuss one of the most important lessons they’ve learned as parents — no matter how much you plan, things don’t always… things actually never… go the way you expect. Shazi shares the story of her son Zane’s autism diagnosis and Minnie discusses her unexpected pregnancy and experience as a single mom. The episode concludes with a discussion on how modern parenting is evolving, what to expect in the future and how to enjoy the ride. View all Episodes
View All Episodes
Episode 1 - Key Takaways
If you don't have a chance to listen to the entire episode, here's what you need to know:
• As parents, we can create new life (mind-blowing), but we can't control it (humbling - see how Shazi faced that ironic truth as the founder of Happy Baby)
• It's developmentally appropriate to feel stress, it motivates you to action - you'll know it's too much when you're crippled into inaction
• Everyone has an opinion so take the advice that serves you and ignore the rest
• Letting go of control will allow you to enjoy the actual ride in real life
• Modeling your ability to adapt in front of your children teaches them to do the same by example, and that builds resilience
• Don't let others label you, ever - case in point, an elderly doctor telling an 18 year old Minnie Driver she was “barren” and her living with a label that was not ok and not accurate
• AND guess what? She's not. AND guess who had a baby? Yep. Minnie (who's the best ever)
View All Episodes
Minnie Driver is best known for her breakout role in Circle of Friends and the 1997 film Good Will Hunting (which reaped nominations for both the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress and a Screen Actors Guild Award). She has appeared in numerous TV programmes, including The Riches, starring opposite Eddie Izzard, for which she was nominated for an Emmy and a Golden Globe. She is also a singer, with three studio albums. Driver will next be seen in Searchlight Pictures' biopic Chevalier and 20th Century's Rosaline. She most recently appeared in the latest adaptation of Cinderella on Amazon, in Modern Love, and has appeared as a recurring character in Will and Grace, which was recently rebooted, and in Speechless. She is also the host of the podcast Minnie Questions with Minnie Driver. Minnie’s first book, Managing Expectations: a Memoir in Essays, will be released on May 3rd (May 10th in the UK).
Dr. Aliza Pressman
Dr. Pressman hosts a leading parenting podcast “Raising Good Human's”, for families with a goal of helping to make the journey of being a parent less overwhelming and a little more joyful. As an expert on every aspect of child development, Dr. Pressman has been a resource and personal friend to Shazi for many years.